Thursday, April 7, 2011

Talkin’ Trilogies – An Introduction

Luke Owen welcomes you to his latest column, Talkin' Trilogies...

I’ve been rather quiet on the Flickering Myth front for a little while now due to my extensive work on The Collector’s Room (shameless plug). So, I decided to set myself a task.

Each Monday, I will be looking at a different trilogy from film history. I will look at them in depth, give my analysis, talk about how each one worked within the series and then rate the trilogy over all. I’m not looking to “discover the greatest trilogy ever”, just looking to entertain you all. And watch some movies.

There are some rules – which are as follows:

1. It has to be a trilogy.

For example. I cannot do an Indiana Jones trilogy review. Because Spielberg and Lucas made Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, the series is now a quadrilogy and falls from my boundaries.

2. It has to be a trilogy – not a trilogy boxset

For example, I own a copy of “Children of the Corn Trilogy Box Set”. However, I cannot count this in the feature as there are seven films in the franchise. Therefore not making it a true trilogy.

3. No remakes or reboots to be counted.

For example, if the proposed Escape From New York remake gets out of development hell, it would not go hand in hand with the original Escape From New York or its sequel Escape From L.A. A trilogy has to have a progression of story – a remake or reboot starts anew.

4. I don’t take requests

Not just yet anyway. I have a list of trilogies in a Word document that I will be looking at over the next few months. So I’d rather not have e-mails saying, “when are you going to do insert trilogy here?” However, do send me e-mails with feedback.

And that’s it. Hope you enjoy the ride.

First up - Scream

Luke Owen

No comments:

Post a Comment